I write a lot about apps and games, especially for iOS, but also for other platforms. I’m often astonished how poorly developers, publishers and PRs deal with the press, but also flattered and eager to help when these people ask my advice. During the past couple of years, I’ve written some articles on this subject, and I thought it about time I housed links to them on a single page. So here it is.
- Tips for iPhone and iPod touch developers regarding press pages (November 2009), in which I provide advice regarding making assets readily available.
- The PRs versus journos battle—and some helpful hints for PRs (January 2010), in which I provide tips to PRs on how to avoid really annoying their journo contacts.
- Helpful hints for iOS game and app developers (September 2010), in which I suggest how to approach developing a game for iOS.
- Helpful hints for iOS game and app developers, part two: Fun with websites! (October 2010), in which I offer tips on how you should build a website that will be informative and also assist the press.
- How to boost the chances of getting your iOS game reviewed (March 2011), in which I provide tips on getting and keeping my attention, but also in increasing the chances people will stay put on your App Store page.
- Helpful hints for sending out press releases and info for iOS games (November 2011), in which I suggest more ways in which PRs/devs can send useful, relevant information to the press.
- Helpful hints for iOS devs when creating gameplay videos (November 2011), in which I provide some ideas about how you can improve your iOS gameplay videos.
Note that while most of these are targeted rather specifically (mostly at iOS games devs), the tips are largely quite general and can be applied to most platforms and companies.